ALL ACCOR

ALL ACCOR
Book, stay, enjoy. That's ALL.com

Saturday 15 April 2017

What I learned from my first Airbnb experience

Unforgettable trips start with Airbnb. Book unique experiences and homes in 191 countries. That's how the blurb goes, anyway.

I'm usually an early adopter of new technology but something held me back from using Airbnb until recently. 

I really don't like the idea of sharing someone else's bathroom, and I certainly don't feel comfortable kicking back and relaxing in someone's lounge space. I'd rather stay in my bedroom. 

I also like the comforts that hotels offer; luxury bathroom amenities; a newspaper in the morning; 24- hour room service and, best of all, privacy.

But needs must and a couple of weeks ago I needed a room overnight in Sydney when the only hotel rooms still available were fetching $500-$600 a night. Sydney was literally booked out. 

So I filled in the online form, painless enough, and chose a room and bedroom for $110 a night in Pyrmont, an area I know well.



Unfortunately, $110 become $150 because, as a newcomer to Airbnb, I had not switched the default payment system from US dollars to Australian dollars.  

The location was spot on, my host excellent at communication and providing address details. The apartment was clean and well equipped, the bedroom small but comfortable with a nice balcony. A welcome note on a chalkboard was nice and there was wifi, apparently, but my host went shopping before I thought to ask for the code, and the only TV was a shared one in the main lounge


My biggest problem, however, was that the bathroom was across the hallway; so if you wanted a shower, or even just a wee, you needed to be mindful that you might bump into someone on your way. And you certainly didn't want to do an explosive poo in case someone in the room next door were to be repulsed. 

And I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable cooking in someone else's kitchen while they were present. 

So maybe I'm antisocial, or I'm too set in my ways. but living in close proximity to strangers is not my thing. 

Nonetheless, I gave my room a positive rating and my host said I was a nice guest. All good. 

Would I use Airbnb again? Yes, but only if the facility was a completely self-contained apartment or house. I'm just not capable of sharing facilities. Grumpy old me. 

    
   

5 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about sharing facilities. I would rather pay extra for a 4 star hotel room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our accredited BnB has been running for 50yrs we now compete with over 3500 Airbnb properties within our region, most flying under the radar of taxes, or laws of local government. For us we can only thank those that continue to support businesses like ours

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can filter AurBnB for "entire home/apt." That way n one else will be there. Highly recommended and avoids all the problems to mention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cousin, a first time overseas traveller spent 3 months in Europe only staying at AirBnBs. Very brave. She loved them and had mostly seld contained apartments or semi detached units. Will never go back to hotels again. My turn next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin, a first time overseas traveller spent 3 months in Europe only staying at AirBnBs. Very brave. She loved them and had mostly seld contained apartments or semi detached units. Will never go back to hotels again. My turn next.

    ReplyDelete