ALL ACCOR

ALL ACCOR
Book, stay, enjoy. That's ALL.com

Monday 20 February 2017

A night at the footy - South African style


South Africans take their soccer pretty seriously. And no team's fans are more serious than those of Johannesburg side Kaizer Chiefs, who are revered around the country. 


When I flew into Durban on Saturday morning, I discovered Chiefs were playing Highlands Park at the superb Moses Mabhida Stadium that night. 


So I hopped on the bus and headed for stadium - along with around 45,000 other people, virtually all of them from the townships. 


To say I stood out like a sore thumb is an understatement. I bought a ticket for R60 ($6) that had been originally sold to a "Mr Bongani Nhlapho",  at face value from a helpful fellow outside main gate. 


I was made very welcome, however, in a stadium that was a riot of colour and noise. 


Think vuvuzela horns, elaborate costumes and non-stop noise - with a few waves thrown in - and roars from the fans - almost entirely clad in Chiefs' gold - whenever a "home" player excelled. 


Chiefs got up 1-0 - sparking wild celebrations. I hope you enjoy these pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment